Rome - Today is the 150th anniversary of the restoration to public veneration of the icon of Mary Mother of Perpetual Help, entrusted to the Redemptorist missionaries by Pope Pius IX in 1866 with a commitment to "make her known". In the letter of the Superior General of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer, Fr. Michael Brehl, for this celebration, sent to Fides, we read inter alia: "For 150 years, Our Mother of Perpetual Help has accompanied us in our Mission and our Ministry, drawing countless people into a deeper personal relationship with Jesus the Redeemer, and with the People of God. From St. Alphonsus Church on via Merulana this devotion has spread to every continent... Mary has accompanied the Redemptorist missionaries in every continent in their mission to proclaim the Gospel ever anew. She has proven to be the most effective missionary presence that announces 'redemptio copious' for everyone, but especially for the poor and abandoned".
The solemn Eucharist will be presided by Cardinal Vincent G. Nichols, at the St. Alphonsus Church, Via Merulana, Rome, where the image of Mary is kept. >>